Center for Holocaust & Genocide Studies
Women and The Holocaust
- Allen, Ann Taylor. "The Holocaust and the Modernization of Gender: A
Historiographical Essay. " Central European History 30.3 (1997): 349-364.
- Baer, Elizabeth R. and Goldenberg, Myrna. Experience and Expression: Women,
The Nazis, and the Holocaust. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 2003.
- Baskin Judith. Women of the Word: Jewish Women and Jewish Writing Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1996.
- Baumel, Judith.
- Double Jeopardy: Gender and the Holocaust. Portland: Vallentine Mitchell, 1998.
- "Social Interaction among Jewish Women in Crisis during the Holocaust:' Gender and History 7.1 (1995): 64-84.
- Bendremer, Jutta. Women Surviving the Holocaust: in Spite of the Horror Lewiston: E. Mellen Press, 1997.
- Brenner, Rachel. Writing as Resistance: Four Women Confronting the Holocaust. University Park: Penn State UP, 1997.
- Bridenthal, Renate. Atina Grossmann and Marion Kaplan, eds. When Biology Became Destiny: Women in Weimar and Nazi Germany New York: Monthly Review Press, 1984.
- Cole, Diana. "A Sudden Spate of Women's Holocaust Memoirs." Lilith 18.1 (1993): 2628.
- Cosner, Sharon and Victoria Cosner. Women under the Third Reich: a Biographical Dictionary New York: Greenwood Press, 1998.
- DeCosta, Denise. Anne Frank and Etty Hillesum: Inscribing Spirituality and Sexuality. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1998.
- De Silva, Cara. In Memory's Kitchen: A Legacy from the Women of Terezin. New Jersey: Jason Aronson, 1996.
- Distel, Barbara. Frauen im Holocaust. Gerlingen: Bleicher Verlag, 2001.
- Dworkin, Andrea. "The Unremembered: Searching for Women at the Holocaust Memorial Museum." Ms. (Nov/Dec, 1994): 5258.
- Ezrahi, Sidra. By Words Alone: The Holocaust in Literature Chicago: University of Chicago P, 1980.
- Fine, Ellen S. "Women Writers and the Holocaust: Strategies for Survival." Reflections of the Holocaust in Art and Literature Ed. Randolph L Braham . New York: Columbia UP, 1990.
- Felstiner, Mary Lowenthal. "Taking Her Life/History: the Autobiography of Charlotte Salomon." Life/Lines: Theorizing Women's Autobiography. Ed. Bella Brodski and Celeste Schenek. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1998.
- To Paint Her Life: Charlotte Salomon in the Nazi Era. New York: HarperPerennial, 1995.
- Fishman, Ellen. "Why Women are Writing Holocaust Memoirs Now" Lillith 15.2 (1990): 67,29.
- Frederiksen, Elke P. and Wallach, Martha. Facing Fascism and Confronting the Past:
German Women Writers from Weimar to the Present. Albany: SUNY UP, 2000.
- Fuchs, Esther. ed. Women and the Holocaust: Narrative and Representation. Lanham: University Press of America, 1999.
- Goldenberg, Myrna.
- "Different Horrors, Same Hell: Women Remembering the Holocaust." Thinking the Unthinkable: Meanings of the Holocaust Ed. Roger S. Gottlieb. Nahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1990.
- "Lessons Learned from Gentle Heroism: Women's Holocaust Narratives. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 548 (Nov 1996): 7893.
- "Testimony, Narrative, and Nightmare. The Experiences of Jewish Women in the Holocaust." Active Voices: Women in Jewish Culture. Ed. Maurice Sacks. Urbana: University of Illinois P, 1995.
- 'From a World Beyond': Women in the Holocaust." Feminist Studies. 22. 3 (Fall, 1996): 667-687.
- " Choices, Risks, and Conscience," Belles Lettres 10 (Winter 199394):4245.
- Gurewitsch, Brana, ed. Mothers, Sisters, Resisters: Oral Histories of Women Who Survived the Holocaust Tuscaloosa: U of Alabama P, 1998.
- Halio, Jay and Ben Siegel, eds. Daughters of Valor: Contemporary Jewish American Women Writers Newark: University of Delaware P, 1997.
- Heineman, Elizabeth. "The Hour of the Woman: memories of Germany's 'Crisis Years'
and West German National Identity." American Historical Review 101 (1996):
- What Difference Does a Husband Make? Women and Marital
Status in Nazi and Postwar Germany. Berkeley: University of California Press,
- Heineman, Marlene. Gender and Destiny: Women Writers and the Holocaust New York: Greenwood Press, 1986.
- Higgonet, Margaret et al, eds. Behind the Lines: Gender and the Two World Wars New Haven: Yale UP, 1987.
- Hirsch, Marianne. Family Frames: Photography, Narrative, and Postmemory. Cambridge: Harvard UP, 1997.
- and Spitzer, Leo. "Gendered Translations: Claude Lanzmann's Shoah" in Gendering War Talk , eds. Miriam Cooke and Angela Woollcott. Princeton:
Princeton UP, 1993.
- Horowitz, Sara R.
- "Memory and Testimony of Women Survivors of Nazi Genocide." Women of the Word: Jewish Women and Jewish Writing. Ed Judith Baskin. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1996
- "The Pin with which to Stick Yourself': The Holocaust in Jewish American Women's Writing." Daughters of Valor: Contemporary Jewish American Women Writers Eds. Jay Halio and Ben Siegel. Newark: University of Delaware P, 1997.
- Kaplan, Marion A. Between Dignity and Despair: Jewish Life in Nazi Germany. New York: Oxford UP, 1998.
- Katz, Esther and Joan Ringelheim, eds. Proceedings of the Conference: WQmen Surviving the Holocaust New York: Institute for Research in History, 1983.
- Kaufman, Debra. "The Holocaust and Sociological Inquiry: A Feminist Analysis." Contemporary Jewry 17 (1996): 6-17.
- Koonz, Claudia. Mothers in the Fatherland: Women. the Fam ily and Nazi Politics. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1987.
- Kremer, Lillian.
- Women's Holocaust Writing: Memory and Imagination. Lincoln: University of Nebraska P, 1999.
- "The Holocaust and the Witnessing Imagination." Violence. Silence and Anger: Women"s Writing as Transmission. Ed. Deirdre Lashgari. Charlottesville: UP of Virginia, 1995.
- "HolocaustWrought Women: Portraits by Four American Writers." Studies in American Jewish Literature 11.2 (Fall 1992): 150-161.
- "Holocaust Writing." The Oxford Companion to Women's Writing in the United States. New York: Oxford UP, 1994.
- Lacey, Kate. "Driving the Message Home: Nazi Propaganda in the Private Sphere." Gender Relations in German History: Power, Agency, and Experience from the Sixteenth to the Twentieth Century. Ed. Lynn Abrams and Elizabeth Harvey. Durham: Duke UP, 1997.
- Laska, Vera. Women in the Resistance and in the Holocaust: The Voices of Eyewitness. Westport: Greenwood Press, 1983.
- Linden, R. Ruth. Making Stories, Making Selves: Feminist Reflections on the Holocaust. Columbus: Ohio UP, 1993.
- Lixl-Purcell, Andreas . "Memoirs as History." Leo Baeck Institute Yearbook 39 (1994)
- Lorenz, Dagmar. Keepers of the Motherland: German Texts by Jewish Women Writers. Lincoln: University of Nebraska P, 1997.
- Magnus, Shulamith. " 'Out of the Ghetto': Integrating the Study of Jewish Women Into the Study of the 'The Jews'." Judaism 39. 1(1990): 28-36.
- Martin, Elaine, ed. Gender, Patriarchy, and Fascism in the Third Reich: The Response of Women Writers. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1993.
- Miller, J Love Carried Me Home: Women surviving Auschwit. Deerfield Beach: Simcha Press. 2000
- It is the story of the first 16 women who gave their testimonies to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington DC. It is a based on a dissertation which investigated the coping strategies of women during their internment in Auschwitz.
- Milton, Sybil. "Women and the Holocaust: The Case of German and German Jewish Women." When Biology Became Destiny: Women in Weimar and Nazi Germany. Eds. Renate Bridenthal, Atina Grossman, Marion Kaplan. New York: Monthly Review Press, 1984.
- Morrison, Jack. Ravensbrück: Everyday Life in a Women's Concentration Camp. Markus Wiener Publishers, 2000.
- Ofer, Dalia and Lenore Weitzman. Women in the Holocaust. New Haven: Yale UP, 1998.
- Owings, Alison. Frauen: Germany Women Recall the Third Reich. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1993.
- Phayer, Michael and Eva Fleishner. Cries in the Night: Women Who Challenged the Holocaust Kansas City: Sheed and Ward, 1997.
- Reading, Anna . "Scarlet Lips in Belsen: Culture, Gender, and Ethnicity in the policies
of the Holocaust." Media, Culture, and Society 21.4 (July 1999): 481-502.
- Remmler, Karen. "Gender Identities and the Remembrance of the Holocaust" Women in German Yearbook 10 (1994): 167-187.
- Ringelheim, Joan.
- ''The Unethical and the Unspeakable: Women and the Holocaust." Simon Wiesenthal Center Annual I Ed. Alex Grobman. Chappaqua, N.Y. (1984): 69-87.
- 'Thoughts about Women and the Holocaust!' Thinking the Unthinkable: Meanings of the Holocaust Ed. Roger S. Gottlieb. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1990.
- "Women and the Holocaust: A Reconsideration of Research." Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 10. 4 (1985):74-161.
- "Women and the Holocaust: A Reconsideration of Research." Jewish Women in Historical Perspective Ed. Judith R. Baskin. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1991.
- "Women and the Holocaust: A Reconsideration of Research." Different Voices: Women and the Holocaust Eds. Carol Rittner and John K. Roth. New York: Paragon House, 1993.
- Rittner, Carol and John K. Roth , eds. Different Voices: Women and the Holocaust. New York: Paragon House, 1993.
- Rittner, Carol. "Blind But Not Ignorant: German Women During the Holocaust." Peace, Indeed: Essays in Honor of Harry Cargas. Ed. Zev Garber and Richard Libowitz. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1998.
- Ritvo, Roger A. and Diane M. Plotkin. Sisters in Sorrow: Voices of Care in the Holocaust College Station: Texas A & M UP, 1998.
- Ronit, Lentin. "Expected to Live: Women Shoah Survivors' Testimonials of Silence." Women's Studies International Forum 23.6 (Nov-Dec.2000): 689.
- Saidel, Rochelle. The Jewish Women of Ravensbrück Concentration Camp. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2004
- Schoppmann, Claudia.
- Days of Masquerade Life Stories of Lesbians during the Third Reich New York: Columbia UP, 1996.
- "National Socialist Policies Toward Female Homosexuality." Gender Relations in German History: Power, Agency, and Experience from the Sixteenth to the Twentieth Century. Ed. Lynn Abrams and Elizabeth Harvey. Durham: Duke UP, 1997.
- Schwertfeger, Ruth. Women of Theresienstadt: Voices from a Concentration Camp Oxford: Berg, 1989.
- Smith, Roger W. "Women and Genocide: Notes on an Unwritten History," Holocaust and Genocide Studies 8.3 (1994):315-334.
- Stoltzfus, Nathan. Resistance of the Heart: Intermarriage and the Rosenstrasse Protest in Nazi Germay. New York: W.W. Norton, 1996.
- Summerfield, Penny. Reconstructing Women's Wartime Lives. Manchester: Manchester UP, 1998.
- Tec, Nechama. Resilience and Courage: Women, Men and the Holocaust. New Haven:
Yale UP, 2003.
- "Sex Distinctions and Passing as Christians During the Holocaust." East European Quarterly 18.1 (1984): 113-123.
- Weitz, Margaret Collins. Sisters in the Resistance: How Women Fought to Free France, 1940-1945. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1995.